Friday, July 02, 2010

Love Your Enemies...(or your children)

Back to the Moravian text from Luke Chapter 6

"But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31Do to others as you would have them do to you.

32"If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' love those who love them. 33And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' do that. 34And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' lend to 'sinners,' expecting to be repaid in full. 35But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. 36Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.


I would never call my children my enemies, but I can't help but put the most difficult ones into this passage and have it have great meaning to me. Kids with attachment disorder often perceive us as the enemy, and thus maybe the word fits in a strange sort of way.

Sometimes I get caught in the bind of withdrawing things from the children who withdraw things from me. If they aren't going to give, then neither am I. If they won't do their part, why should I?

So the Scripture above got my attention. It includes the golden rule, obviously, but the next paragraph hit me between the eyes. It's counter-cultural to love an enemy and be continuously doing good to them. But note: The reward does not come from the enemy. The reward comes from GOd and it isn't always an immediate one either.

I so want to be gracious and merciful, even when my children are not, but it's not an easy task. Sometimes I confess to being irritable and crabby with them, frustrated at their inability to love me back the way I feel I should be loved.

I guess the bottom line is that some days I live like a "common sinner" instead of living like a forgiven, redeemed, beloved child of God. Adoptive parenting has taught me what it must feel like to be God -- as he forgives, and forgives, and forgives us, loves us when we don't love Him in return, and continues to seek us out, to give us those things we need graciously, as we rebel, run, refuse, and do wrong.

I needed to read this passage this morning. I can't say I enjoyed reading it, but I needed it. ANd let me throw in this extra for those who are with me on this one. It's the same version in the Message translation and the language used is almost shocking.

27-30"To you who are ready for the truth, I say this: Love your enemies. Let them bring out the best in you, not the worst. When someone gives you a hard time, respond with the energies of prayer for that person. If someone slaps you in the face, stand there and take it. If someone grabs your shirt, giftwrap your best coat and make a present of it. If someone takes unfair advantage of you, use the occasion to practice the servant life. No more tit-for-tat stuff. Live generously.

31-34"Here is a simple rule of thumb for behavior: Ask yourself what you want people to do for you; then grab the initiative and do it for them! If you only love the lovable, do you expect a pat on the back? Run-of-the-mill sinners do that. If you only help those who help you, do you expect a medal? Garden-variety sinners do that. If you only give for what you hope to get out of it, do you think that's charity? The stingiest of pawnbrokers does that.

35-36"I tell you, love your enemies. Help and give without expecting a return. You'll never—I promise—regret it. Live out this God-created identity the way our Father lives toward us, generously and graciously, even when we're at our worst. Our Father is kind; you be kind.

37-38"Don't pick on people, jump on their failures, criticize their faults— unless, of course, you want the same treatment. Don't condemn those who are down; that hardness can boomerang. Be easy on people; you'll find life a lot easier. Give away your life; you'll find life given back, but not merely given back—given back with bonus and blessing. Giving, not getting, is the way. Generosity begets generosity."


I'm going to try to live this way today and remember the way that God loves me.

No comments: