Tuesday, October 31, 2006

A Refuge and a Shield

Psalm 119:113-120
2 Samuel 21; John 10:34-42

O Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger, or discipline me in your
wrath. Psalm 6:1

We believe that we will be saved through the grace of the Lord
Jesus. Acts 15:11

Dear Jesus, thank you for your grace that is greater than all of
our sin. Thank you for putting yourself aside to serve us and
save us. Help us to put ourselves aside for others so they might
see you in us. Amen.

You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word. (
Psalm 119:114).

Do you ever feel like finding a place to hide? Like you want to just bury yourself in a hole or hide under the covers all day? Do you need a refuge?

A refuge is defined as shelter or protection from danger or distress. When those things come our way, we want to hide. The Psalmist looked to God as that refuge. While we often are tempted to run to something else, the true comforting refuge is God.

The second metaphor that the psalmist uses is that of a shield. When trouble comes, not only do we have a place to go for safety and security and relief, but we have a sheild that we can put up in front of us to protect us from what comes. Whether they are troubles that come from the evil one or just from life's circumstances, God our sheild can protect us.

Comforting words: God is my sheld and my refuge. I can choose to either put him before me and fight off the trouble or, when I need to, I can run away -- and run to him for safety.

God, help me to remember today where to go and what to do when the hard times come. Amen.

No comments: