Monday, October 30, 2006

Hiding the Word in our Hearts

Monday, October 30
Psalm 119:105-112
2 Samuel 19:31-20:26; John 10:22-33

When I think of your ordinances from of old, I take comfort, O
Lord. Psalm 119:52

God is a God not of disorder but of peace. 1 Corinthians 14:33

God of Comfort, thank you for the order and peace your word can
bring to our lives as we listen, read, study, memorize, and
meditate on it. Help us to faithfully mine the treasures in your
word. Amen.

When I was a child, teen, and young adult I was involved in a denomination that stressed Scripture memorization. I even coached a Bible Quiz team in my twenties. It is amazing how many times those verses have come back to me when I need them the most.

I can remember between 8th and 9th grade walking through the woods at a church camp with an index card memorizing I Corinthians 10:13 in the King James Version:

There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

I can't count the number of times that verse has popped into my head since that day when I was only 13. With God's help I can make it through anything.

There are times when I feel guilty for not having time to memorize more Scripture now, but I am so grateful that I took time when I was young to "hide the Word in my heart". It has been the backdrop of my life.

No comments: