Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Land of the Living

LORD, show me your way; lead me on a level path because of my enemies. Do not abandon me to the will of my foes; malicious and lying witnesses have risen against me. But I believe I shall enjoy the LORD'S goodness in the land of the living. Wait for the LORD, take courage; be stouthearted, wait for the LORD!


In my world, I don't have real "enemies" -- most people I either get along with fairly well, or I ignore them. But in this very real and difficult world that I have chosen to inhabit, there are things, situations, problems that can become my enemies. They present themselves in many forms, but they take me to uneven paths and they do "rise up against me."

Sometimes circumstances lead me to feel as though I am no longer living -- as though I am simply walking through a fog of frustration, depression, anxiety. It is then when these verses are most necessary. This IS the land of the living. I am very much alive and I will see God's goodness here -- in the midst of all the rest.

And thus, it is time for me to take courage... to be "stouthearted" and to wait for the Lord. What is it that He will do? I am not certain. But I know that it will be good, that it will be right, and that regardless of my situation, I will see His goodness here, in the land of the living.

No comments: